Bayou Classic Pot for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
I trying to put together a single vessel no-sparge BIAB system. I have a question about vessel size.

I'm thinking of starting with direct fire, but
I'll prob eventually convert the system to e-BIAB to brew indoors.

I usually do 5gal batches, but
I want to be able to brew 10gal batches occasionally

I like the Bayou Classic Stainless Steamer pots

Looking online, there are two sizes that would work, a 62qt and 82qt.

The basket on the 62qt sits above the bottom of the pot, while it seems that the basket on the 82qt sits on the bottom of the pot.

I woulds think that the 62qt would be better to do either direct fire or e-brewing because the basket sits up above the bottom of the pot.

But is it reasonable to think that you could do a 10gal BIAB no sparge brew in 62qts?

62 quart is too small for a 10-gallon, no-sparge batch, unless it is very low gravity, in my experience.

Also, using the basket for BIAB gets mixed reviews. Some have found that it overly restricted the flow through the bag, then modified the basket, then ditched it altogether in favor of just the bag. That also leaves you with one less item to clean.

Personally, I would go with the 82 quart, or even the 102 quart, and would not get the basket.

I used to do full-volume BIAB in my 62qt and usually could only manage about 8-gallon batches. If I ghetto dunk-sparged or something I think I did 10gal a few times.

I love the Bayou Classic pots. They're solid for the price. I'm converting to a dual-vessel e-build though. I had a lot of inconsistencies with my BIABs.

I used to do full-volume BIAB in my 62qt and usually could only manage about 8-gallon batches. If I ghetto dunk-sparged or something I think I did 10gal a few times.

I love the Bayou Classic pots. They're solid for the price. I'm converting to a dual-vessel e-build though. I had a lot of inconsistencies with my BIABs.

I've been debating single vs a dual herms system too. I decided to start with the single vessel since it would fit better in the indoor space I plan to brew in. I thought if I decided to go to a dual vessel system, I'd have it half built with this system ;-)

Back