Bass ale bottles for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
I just bottled some beer using a red baron capper, and I used some Bass Ale bottles for the first time. They didn't seem to cap properly, and I'm a bit nervous I'll have another type of bottle bombs. Does anybody know if I'll have problems soon?

whan you saw "did not cap properly", I think Incomplete or a bad seal, which will give you the opposite of a bottle bomb; a flat beer. you will not have bottle bombs unless your FG was very high and your beer will most likely have a good seal. RDWHAHB

whan you saw "did not cap properly", I think Incomplete or a bad seal, which will give you the opposite of a bottle bomb; a flat beer. you will not have bottle bombs unless your FG was very high and your beer will most likely have a good seal. RDWHAHB

It looked like they sealed, but the caps did not bend over enough to secure properly. I'm worried that they will just blow off after gaining enough pressure. I tried my best to cap them, it just seems like the rim is just a bit larger than normal. Anyone have experience capping Bass bottles?

yep they work , but not the best , the caps didn't crown all the way over the lip of the bottle :) , mine all carbed fine but i drank them first ... move them to the front and drink them first and pitch the bottles or get a bench caper for them.

2ndly I took my wing capper and ran it over each cap 3-4 times , turning it a quarter turn to make it seal a little better ... can't hurt even now.

Budweiser ale and Samadams work much better. there are others too.

yep they work , but not the best , the caps didn't crown all the way over the lip of the bottle :) , mine all carbed fine but i drank them first ... move them to the front and drink them first and pitch the bottles or get a bench caper for them.

2ndly I took my wing capper and ran it over each cap 3-4 times , turning it a quarter turn to make it seal a little better ... can't hurt even now.

Budweiser ale and Samadams work much better. there are others too.

+1 I like Bass so I had saved up a bunch of bottles. I didn't get that dimple in the center of the cap with any of them. They seemed to hold carb fine but I didn't reuse them after my first bottling. Anchor Steam is the same way. I've found that Sam, DFH, and most bottles that don't have their name stamped in the bottle work the best.

i HATE bass ale.
i only have 12 bottles.
they are the ONLY bottles my capper likes.
deschuttes stick like mad, and i gotta crank the bottles out. i have about 400 of those....
bass ale bottles are great for rebottling IMHO.
too bad the beer inside sucks :p

When I first started bottling I had saved a couple 6ers of bass. On th end, they were the beers without carbonation. I would avoid them.

i HATE bass ale.
i only have 12 bottles.
they are the ONLY bottles my capper likes.
deschuttes stick like mad, and i gotta crank the bottles out. i have about 400 of those....
bass ale bottles are great for rebottling IMHO.
too bad the beer inside sucks :p

maybe you should get a doctor to check that out for you

+1 I like Bass so I had saved up a bunch of bottles. I didn't get that dimple in the center of the cap with any of them. They seemed to hold carb fine but I didn't reuse them after my first bottling. Anchor Steam is the same way. I've found that Sam, DFH, and most bottles that don't have their name stamped in the bottle work the best.

I've had no problem with Bass bottles. i use them along with anything else thats not twist off. Hobgoblin bottles are a challenge since the neck is rounded but I can make that work as well with my normal cheapo capper.

BTW the dimple in the cap has no meaning or bearing on the seal of the bottle. have you ever seen a commercial beer w/ a dimple in the cap? Cap them and if in doubt, turn the bottle udside down. If it did not seal properly, it will leak.

Good luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Back