Baking dextrose. Any different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Browsing my local restaurant supply store, I came across a 50lb sack of dextrose monohydrate in the baking aisle. Is this the same stuff used for brewing? I'm considering making some seltzers and have been looking to buy some corn sugar. This stuff is $.73/lb.

dextrose.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Time to make experiment with some seltzers and put an end to the days of OG's coming in lower than expected.

Awesome. Time to make experiment with some seltzers and put an end to the days of OG's coming in lower than expected.

Are your seltzer Original Gravity "points" coming in at about 91% of what you're expecting?

Are your seltzer Original Gravity "points" coming in at about 91% of what you're expecting?
Nope, haven't tried yet. I meant for regular brew days. I'm guessing you're referring to the differences in points from table sugar vs. dextrose vs. DME per lb?

Nope, haven't tried yet. I meant for regular brew days. I'm guessing you're referring to the differences in points from table sugar vs. dextrose vs. DME per lb?

Yes, I was referring to the difference between table sugar (~46 PPG) and corn sugar (~42 PPG), due to corn sugar being about 9% water (the "monohydrate" part). Some software assumes 46 PPG for corn sugar, which causes people to get lower than expected OG.

But given that you're talking about regular brew days (malt grain bills I assume), how are you thinking experiments with corn sugar/seltzers are going to help with your OGs?

But given that you're talking about regular brew days (malt grain bills I assume), how are you thinking experiments with corn sugar/seltzers are going to help with your OGs?
Purchasing a cheap bag of dextrose will allow to make a bunch of seltzers (experiment), and having a bunch on hand will allow me to not sweat coming in under OG on regular brew days because I'll have plenty of corn sugar to bump up to my desired gravity if needed. All just excuses to buy another bulk sack of brewing ingredients.

Purchasing a cheap bag of dextrose will allow to make a bunch of seltzers (experiment), and having a bunch on hand will allow me to not sweat coming in under OG on regular brew days because I'll have plenty of corn sugar to bump up to my desired gravity if needed. All just excuses to buy another bulk sack of brewing ingredients.

Ah, ok. Sounds like there's a mash efficiency problem (or mash efficiency expectation problem) you want to adjust for after the fact, by adding corn sugar. In that case, I'd recommend DME instead of corn sugar, to keep the result closer to the recipe's original intent (body, attenuation, etc.). But better yet, why not figure out why your OGs are coming in lower than expected in the first place and fic that? Here's a presentation on mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency that might help if you were to decide to go that route:
http://sonsofalchemy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Mash_Efficiency_and_Brewhouse_Efficiency.pdf

Back