Another Water report thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
So I've just gotten to my water report for my city. (http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/pdf/tbl6.pdf)

I get these important ones for brewing out of that: (I'm averaging between the second and third treatment plant, because I'm in a gray area between the two's zones of influence)

Ca++: 37
CO3--: 0 ?
Cl-: 95
Mg++: 18
Na+: 83
SO4--: 160

My question comes in on what's up with the CO3 being 0? If I understand it correctly, the molecules split apart into ions in the presence of water, which, if that is the case, how can you have a "Alkalinity - Total as CaCO3" of 115, Bicarbonate of 140, and a Total Hardness (I'm of the understanding that this impacts the CO3 content as well) of about 200.

Do I use these other numbers when adjusting my water? or do I have to adjust my CO3 levels a huge amount?

The number you want is total alkalinity as CaCO3, 115. Mine is 161 according to my Ward Labs report.

Your water is pretty good. Add a little calcium to it with CaCl2 or gypsum, and it's suitable for anything except a cream ale or a blonde, which I would dilute 50/50 with RO water.

Latest posts

Back