Advice/suggestions for a Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone, never designed my own IPA recipe, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!!

9# Two-row
2# White wheat
1# 60L Crystal
.5# CaraPils

.5 oz Citra @60
.5 oz Columbus @60
.25 oz Citra @30
.25 oz Columbus @30
.25 oz Citra @5
.5 oz Citra dry-hop

Safale S-05

Depends on how much hop you like in your beer, of course, but I might bump up the late Citra additions and the dry hop a bit. If you're short on Citra you could do .75 or 1 oz of Columbus at 60 for bittering, .5 oz Citra at 30, .5 oz Citra at 5, and 1 oz Citra dry hop.

I have a citra pale ale on tap right now. I split the batch between 2 kegs, dryhopping in one, none in the other. Dry hopped keg... long gone. Non dry hopped keg is going away much slower. I always thought that citra's strengths are flavor and aroma so I did 2.67 oz at flameout and the dry hop (as well as .67 @ 10, 15, 5, 1). Bittered with warrior. Tropical flavor was great, aroma of mangoes was insane. Grainbill looks good, I would switch around the citra to later additions.

Ok, I adjusted the hop schedule as follows:

1 oz Columbus @ 60
.25 oz Citra @ 30
.25 oz Citra @ 15
.25 oz Citra @ 5
.5 oz Citra at flame out
1 oz Citra dry hop

Any suggestions on how long I should dry hop?

Just pulled a pint of this beer and it is amazing!!! Reminds me of Stone Levitation. Absolutely good stuff! Thanks for the tips!

Back