Transfer(s) and residual yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veets

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on the best timing and method for transfer and serving in this kind of setup?
I'm fermenting in kegs under pressure, and transferring to a purged keg using a floating dip tube. I've read the advice about transferring/getting it off the cake before fermentation is complete, but am wondering about the effect of residual yeast.
I see one option as transferring after primary is complete, and using a traditional dip tube in the serving keg. When I'm ready to serve, some of the yeast will come out with the first pours, but there will probably still be some residual yeast.
Option two is to just go ahead and use a floating dip tube in the serving keg, and not worry about the amount of residual yeast at the bottom, until the last glass is poured.
I suppose that if I wait a few days more or less after primary fermentation is complete, it might make a small difference in the amount of yeast that would drop out, but I suspect that it won't be significant.
I can keep a serving keg for 2 to 4 months before it's kicked, so I suspect that this length of time might make a difference in taste due to the residual yeast.
I'm not keen on the idea of transferring twice. Does anyone think that's necessary?
Also, I'm all in favor of trying it both ways and seeing how it goes, but that would likely take me a year to figure out, so I'd love to leverage the experiences (or at least opinions) of those on this board. Thanks!

Anyone have an opinion on the best timing and method for transfer and serving in this kind of setup?
I'm fermenting in kegs under pressure, and transferring to a purged keg using a floating dip tube. I've read the advice about transferring/getting it off the cake before fermentation is complete, but am wondering about the effect of residual yeast.
I see one option as transferring after primary is complete, and using a traditional dip tube in the serving keg. When I'm ready to serve, some of the yeast will come out with the first pours, but there will probably still be some residual yeast.
Option two is to just go ahead and use a floating dip tube in the serving keg, and not worry about the amount of residual yeast at the bottom, until the last glass is poured.
I suppose that if I wait a few days more or less after primary fermentation is complete, it might make a small difference in the amount of yeast that would drop out, but I suspect that it won't be significant.
I can keep a serving keg for 2 to 4 months before it's kicked, so I suspect that this length of time might make a difference in taste due to the residual yeast.
I'm not keen on the idea of transferring twice. Does anyone think that's necessary?
Also, I'm all in favor of trying it both ways and seeing how it goes, but that would likely take me a year to figure out, so I'd love to leverage the experiences (or at least opinions) of those on this board. Thanks!

You want to transfer with 3-4 gravity points remaining and let it finish and condition in the serving keg. Only use bottle gas to serve, use the floating dip tubes and drink it until it's gone!

I have found that it depends on the yeast, British ale yeast drops faster than Lager yeast which has the tendency to remain in suspicion longer. I don't go by gravity any more but wait till high krausen is over. Dip tubes sits about an inch above the bottom of the keg which is plenty of space. The worst is transferring and not having enough yeast to finish fermentation.

Back