Lauter Cap, Mash Cap, Flushing Tubing w/ CO2, Losses--Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Lauter Cap?
I plan to move to a recirculation approach soon, but in the meantime, the best I can do to get clear wort is a normal mash tun. As I drain that into my boil kettle, I would like to use a lauter cap. But there are...protrusions in the BK, whirlpool arm, dip tube....

What do brewers use for lauter caps in a situation like this? Or is it the case that whatever I can make work is better than nothing and at least some benefit? Any ideas?

Mash Cap--foam board with Stretch Wrap covering it?
I also plan to try to do some mashing in my traditional mash tun. I have a Wilserbag to line it, and will lauter to produce as clear of wort as I can. My mash tun is a square Igloo Cube cooler. I have some foam board I can cut to serve as a mash cap--but I don't know about that foam board coming into contact w/ the mash. I could cover it with Aluminum Foil, but that, like copper, also contributes to Fenton Reactions.

What about using something like stretch wrap? Anybody try this, or have reasons why it wouldn't work?

Flushing Silicone Tubing w/ CO2?
I plan to flush the silicone tubing with CO2 prior to pumping pre-boiled water from my BK to the underletting line in the mash tun, and eventually with the HERMS. Is there a trick to doing this that makes it easier? I have a couple of smooth-jaw hemostats I can use to seal most of the tubing to keep CO2 in there. I plan to use a LONG CO2 line with a gas ball valve at the end to control the on-off of the CO2.

System Losses in Tubing, Dead Space?
What do brewers do with the excess liquid in the tubing? Just chalk it up as losses such as dead space in a mash tun? I can up my grain bill and water by 10 percent or so to accommodate this, just wondering if that's what people do or there's another trick here.

Can't comment on the cap stuff, but on the tubing purge thing, I recirculate my pre-boiling through both pumps and their respective lines (I pre-boil strike volume in my BK and sparge liquor in my HLT, separately). The hex is purged during the pre-boiling as well.

When it's time to underlet the grain bed there's no air in the lines, and I use the same pump and lines to recirculate through a silicone tube laying atop the mash and later to draw off wort during sparging. That short tube is the only thing that doesn't get purged, so I hold the end above the mash until it's filled so it doesn't bubble into the mash. When I start the sparge liquor flow it's a quick hose shift and it's off and running.

As I fly sparge the tubing and pump losses start at the MLT output, so one pump and in/out tubing. On the goes-in side those losses are incurred at the end of the sparge, though, with its quite low SG (usually 1.015 or so) and not significant in a 10 gallon batch. Otoh, on the way to the fermentors its quite rich on big beers so I'll often chase the last of the boil drainage with a bit of sparge liquor...

Cheers!

Last edited:
would stretch wrap handle the heat? would polystyrene foam handle the heat? The good thing about the later is that its fairly impervious to reaction. From what I have been able to glean it doest start to deform until about 90C which is much hotter than our mash is ever likely to get.

https://www.creativemechanisms.com/blog/polystyrene-ps-plastic

It's my lucky day, and perhaps others' as well.

I called the consumer hotline for SC Johnson, maker of Saran Wrap. I asked about using it as liner for a mash cap, temps that would reach perhaps 155 degrees or so.

The answer is yes. The melting point of the regular, thicker Saran wrap is 220 degrees. The "plus" version is thinner--clings better--but its melting point is 195 degrees.

So--I can use foamboard insulation covered by Saran Wrap, and it solves the problem of isolating the foamboard from the mash, and I'm not using Aluminum Foil to do that.

Mcmaster-carr sells SS foil as well.
The SS foil I've used is for wrapping tool steel for heat treatment, to prevent oxidation at 1750°F or so. Cutting and folding it is like trying to fold razor blades! It slashes right through heavy leather welding gloves if you make a mistake. Please don't try to wrap a piece of foam board in this stuff!

I have been looking at stainless steel serving trays and wonder if they would actually float.

They will, provided they have a lip on them. The reason I have been trying to find a way to do something w/ the foam board is I can cut it to very close to the inside dimensions of my square mash tun. If I could find a stainless tray that fit it, I'd use that instead for sure.

If you're talking about something like these, they'd float, as along as you don't swamp them.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will, provided they have a lip on them. The reason I have been trying to find a way to do something w/ the foam board is I can cut it to very close to the inside dimensions of my square mash tun. If I could find a stainless tray that fit it, I'd use that instead for sure.

If you're talking about something like these, they'd float, as along as you don't swamp them.

I would need a round one, my tun is round. Diameter is 34cm which i think is about 13 inches? Its a moded tea urn with a 2.5KW concealed element in the bottom. I would need to cut a hole in the center though for circulation and mount a hose fitting so that it would still float. ;)

Just brew'd a Vienna lager this afternoon, will use the Co2 to purge a keg for spnding. Cut the liquid out dip tube so that it sits a little above the bottom of the Cornelius keg. Pretty excited to see what happens. The OG was down a few points, dunno why, its usually pretty spot on. Have you guys experienced anything similar and did you need to adjust any recipes to compensate?

I would need a round one, my tun is round. Diameter is 34cm which i think is about 13 inches? Its a moded tea urn with a 2.5KW concealed element in the bottom. I would need to cut a hole in the center though for circulation and mount a hose fitting so that it would still float. ;)

I don't know if you can get Amazon stuff where you are, but these:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...aps&field-keywords=stainless+steel+tray+round

and these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UEMSVU0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Just to show what kind of stuff can be had.

Back