Fermented Dill Pickles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
Anyone have any good recipes? I havent tried yet. Have done refrigerator pickles, but am hearing how much superior refrigerator ones are to vinegar ones.

I add the cucumbers to the jar (cut 1/16" off both ends, especially the blossom end), and pack them in lengthwise. I then use a 2 1/2% brine over them. I add a tablespoon of pickling spice, and one or two habaneros and a couple of garlic cloves. Top with a bay leaf (for the tannin, plus to keep the cucumbers from coming out of the liquid), and I often add a small bunch of dill from the garden. I cover with the lid and use an airlock. The brine has to cover the cucumbers, to avoid any oxygen contact. It's important to use a non-reactive jar like glass.

After about 7-10 days at 70 degrees, they are done.

One of my friends adds calcium chloride (pickle crisp) to his to keep them crispier.

A 2 1/2% brine is 1 quart of water with 24 grams of salt dissolved in it. I heat up the water, add the salt and stir well and then let it cool before adding it over my pickles.

Sometimes I put other veggies in there like summer squash, and I especially love carrots. I like serranos in there also.

Their hard to find around here, but their dills are lacto fermented and are awesome. I've read about people using left over brine as a starter for vegetables I think. I'll give it a try!

You don't need to. They have lacto on them already. They will ferment naturally.

I tested my pickles after a week and they didnt smell too great and definitely didnt taste sour. Did i do something wrong? Did a 2% brine, with 2 garlic cloves, mustard seed, dill, and a bay leaf. The brine got really cloudy like they said it would. However, they taste nothing like people say they are supposed to. Any suggestions?

Back