Brett Beers in So Flo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan La Marr

Reaction score
hey everyone,

I’m new to home brewing and keep hearing about Brettanomyces, and I’d love to try it! Thing is, I don’t know any beers that have it, and when I look them up, I’ve never noticed any that I’ve seen in beer stores here.

I live near Fort Lauderdale, so does anybody know of any craft brewers in the tri-county area that use it, or any that are common on the shelves of ABC or Total Wine down here?

Thanks!

American breweries are mostly afraid of Brett :( or it costs about 2-3 times as much as a non-Brett beer.

I brew my own. Unlike many other brewers, I definitely save money by homebrewing.

You can use Brett to make sours (Lambic, gueuze, Flanders), use it just to add some funk (Orval), or use it as the primary yeast for any style of beer where Brett will often add fruity character.

I don't live anywhere near you, but if you can find Duchesse de Bourgogne (Belgian) it's a great sour beer. Nice Brett, sour, oak, a little sweet, and slightly acetic.

Thanks man. I’ve been looking for Saison Dupont, too, and only Total Wine has it. ABC is much closer to me than Total Wine in any direction, but it seems that Total Wine has a much better beer selection. I’ll have to spare the few extra minutes and check one out.

I just tasted a Duvel today, and it had an interesting sour/funky undertone. I wonder if they have some Brett in there?

Duvel is a strong golden ale that I don't think is meant to be sour. Perhaps it was the Belgian yeast you were tasting. The other thing is that these overseas beers don't always arrive in the best of condition especially as far as freshness goes.

Hey guys, just found out Invasive Species Brewing in Ft. Lauderdale has a Brett Saison on tap - aged 10 months in Pino Noir barrels with Pino Noir must! I’ll have to head over and try it out! They also have a milkshake IPA, a Brut IPA, and a ton of other brews, from bourbon barrel stouts to NE IPAs! Cool!

Cool to know! I’ve been afraid to go to Laser Wolf for fear that someone there would ask me how I felt about fixies, in which case I would have to say that I think they’re awful pieces of machinery - very related to pointless death traps. I didn’t want all the hipster-shame should that have ever happened.

I actually had it! The Hefe aged on Brett - I forget its name. Didn’t like it. What can I say. They say Brett doesn’t make beer taste sour, and while it’s not pucker-inducing, it still tastes sour to me, and I don’t like sour beer. It’s too far from what I like beer to taste like.

Back