Barbeque sauce with LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
anybody tried this? havent seen any recipes here, quick search didnt find any either.

seems like an amber or maris extract could be good base for sauce, take the place of ketchup....

There is no ketchup in bbq sauce, just like there is no beans in chili. :D

Google up "Boshizzle's Shack Attack Sauce", for a great bbq sauce. I do cut the salt some.

thanks. but im not looking for a vinegar based sauce. im looking for something thick and with a sweet base. hence the ketchup reference.

anybody ever use LME in a barbeque sauce?

I have not but now I'm thinking about it. I think what I'm going to try is to replace half the brown sugar with DME.

I make my own, and will also try replacing the brown sugar with DME.

I'm not certain about replacing the tomato base with a malt base, however. Granted, that doesn't mean I won't try it sometime.

anybody tried this? havent seen any recipes here, quick search didnt find any either.

seems like an amber or maris extract could be good base for sauce, take the place of ketchup....

Yes, I start with storebought sauce (KC Masterpiece) & use 2 parts sauce to 1 part amber or light LME. I used to use honey, but LME has more & different flavor; I like it quite a bit. Works on ribs, chicken & beef. You can also mix LME with balsamic vinegar for an interesting sauce. It works well in ham glaze too. Try subbing LME for honey in some of your recipes. You can also use LME/DME in cookie, cake & bread recipes.
Regards, GF.

Back