Anyone ever cook with Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin06111

Reaction score
I searched but didn't come with anything... I am looking for a chili recipe that includes hops... I'm not sure it will even work...

The citrusy flavor of some american hops seems like it would work very well with chicken or seafood, and I know that HBT's "Dude" has smoked chicken wings with hops before and was pleased with the results.

My own chili is so big on spices and flavor that I am not certain I would be able to detect the flavor of hops in it, but I don't see that it would hurt to try it. You might want to me mindful of when you add the hops the chili, though, cause you will get bitterness out of the hops.

Haven't done it myself, but I had a fabulous Hop Cheesecake at Deschutes a few months ago! The best cheesecake I've ever had.

I haven't made anything, other than beer of course, with hops, but I remember seeing something, on The Food Network, where some BBQing guy used ground up hops in his rub and beer in his sauce. :)

I use powdered hops for a few things. Mostly as a garnish.
I've tossed some whole hops in the smoker before and didn't really see, smell or taste a benefit.

Used in fish and chips or fried chicken batter, hops powder works nicely.

Only thing I've ever done with hops outside of beer is:
Hop Tea
hoptea.jpg

And frshly picked, chocolate covered hops:
chocolatehops.jpg

For making chili, I would use hop pellets. They'll desolve nicely and you can stir them in evenly.

I haven't used hops, but I use beer in basically every soup/stew/marinade I make as well as a few other dishes.

Don't forget, any time you cook with hops the longer the hops are in liquid the more bitterness and the less hop aroma you'll get. Very few foods are improved by bittering. Chili in particular gets better the longer it simmers. So, I'd make some chili and stir in some low-AA hops into a bowlful before I'd make a batch.

Only thing I've ever done with hops outside of beer is:
Hop Tea
hoptea.jpg

And frshly picked, chocolate covered hops:
chocolatehops.jpg

For making chili, I would use hop pellets. They'll desolve nicely and you can stir them in evenly.

Chocolate dipped hop cones? Can't imagine that would taste good. :drunk:

Chocolate dipped hop cones? Can't imagine that would taste good. :drunk:

Actually, it was fantastic! They were Cascades that I had picked that day. I took it to La Cave Du Vin (my local fine wine and beer bar) and they dissapeared.

I didn't think it would work either, but it was sooooooooooooo good. An hour after eating ti though we all felt like taking a nap...lol.

Agreed with David. I've tried them in bread, but because of the temperatures in backing, the alpha acids isomerize and you get intense bitter flavor. Just a dab will do you.

Probably if more Teamaker type varieties were developed that had low alpha acids it would work better.

Actually, it was fantastic! They were Cascades that I had picked that day. I took it to La Cave Du Vin (my local fine wine and beer bar) and they dissapeared.

I didn't think it would work either, but it was sooooooooooooo good. An hour after eating ti though we all felt like taking a nap...lol.

I may have to try that when I harvest next year. :)

I had to bump this old thread because I just found this youtube vid that uses fresh wild hops with lamb. It's a long vid (15:00), I found it not only interesting, but relaxing as well as mouth-watering. You can always skip ahead if you like.[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3Smp8xC_c[/ame]
Regards, GF.

We made a pot of hop coffee at work one time. If i remember correctly it was about 12T of coffee grounds to about 1/2oz of hops for about 8 cups of coffee.

It wasn't terrible, but it was weirder than hell. The bitterness wasn't really all that strong, but the herbal grassy notes overpowered the roast of the coffee.

It was worth a few sips followed by a ceremonial drain pour.

Back