Antioxin SBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can get it in Europe but I would be really interested to hear from anyone who has used it. From memory I think Kunze advocates grain conditioning with hot water 80C and mashing in at relatively high temperature for a short duration to take care of any LOX activity, also gassing the grist with an inert gas reduces its effects.

I think the LODO guys maybe advocate trying to making your own precisely because of licensing issues mentioned by Scotty although don't quote me on this.

Last edited:
We can get it in Europe but I would be really interested to hear from anyone who has used it. From memory I think Kunze advocates grain conditioning with hot water 80C and mashing in at relatively high temperature for a short duration to take care of any LOX activity, also gassing the grist with an inert gas reduces its effects.

I think the LODO guys advocate making their own precisely because of licensing issues mentioned by Scotty.

Interering i also would like to know if someone successfully made his own.

I see that there are two antioxidant additives, SBT and SB, used in mash, and after fermentation, respectively. Is there any advantage (or detriment) to using both? Or is it a one-or-the-other thing?

So, I shouldn't bother with the SB, pre-bottling?

I'll make up some SBT for the next brew. I have the k-meta and ascorbic on hand. I can pick up the Brewtan at my LHBS.
MaxStout, does Brew and Grow carry it? I haven't found it at NB.

Can someone please elucidate on what kind of absorbic acid is being used, every time I do a search for it i get like skin care beauty products or Vitamin C powder (Is that the same thing)

Last edited:
Can someone please elucidate on what kind of absorbic acid is being used, every time I do a search for it i get like skin care beauty products or Vitamin C powder (Is that the same thing)

Brew stores here carry it in small bottles of an ounce or two. If your LHBS doesn't, maybe you can locate some pure ascorbic acid tablets from a pharmacy or health-foods store (sold as a supplement) and crush them.

Brew stores here carry it in small bottles of an ounce or two. If your LHBS doesn't, maybe you can locate some pure ascorbic acid tablets from a pharmacy or health-foods store (sold as a supplement) and crush them.

Keep in mind that anything in tablet form has filler and must be accounted for when dosing. This includes Campden tablets for K and Na Meta.

Last edited:
The dosage rate for commercial Antioxian SBT is 5-10g/hl or ,.05 - 0.1g/litre of treated water. If we take the highest dose of 10g/hl for a typical 23litre batch with a total liquor of say 36 liters we will need 3.6g of SBT. At such a dose utilizing the ratio of 45/45/10 of SMB, ascorbic acid and BTB respectively will require,

1.62g of SMB
1.62g of Ascorbic acid
0.36g of Brewtan B

at the lowest level of 5g/hl will require

0.81g of SMB
0.81g of ascorbic acid.
0.18g of Brewtan B

Is this correct? The dosage rates for Brewtan B are much lower than commercial description advises.

The dosage rate for commercial Antioxian SBT is 5-10g/hl or ,.05 - 0.1g/litre of treated water. If we take the highest dose of 10g/hl for a typical 23litre batch with a total liquor of say 36 liters we will need 3.6g of SBT. At such a dose utilizing the ratio of 45/45/10 of SMB, ascorbic acid and BTB respectively will require,

1.62g of SMB
1.62g of Ascorbic acid
0.36g of Brewtan B

at the lowest level of 5g/hl will require

0.81g of SMB
0.81g of ascorbic acid.
0.18g of Brewtan B

Is this correct? The dosage rates for Brewtan B are much lower than commercial description advises.

It’s simple: forget about 45/45/10.

1.) Pick your KMeta or NaMeta dose.
2.) Duplicate that dose for AA.
3.) Dose BTB to Manufacturer specs.

yes because when i looked up the specs for Brewtan B it was only like 1% gallic acid, thanks Scotty you're a gem!

Hi I was searching for a few hours last night to try and understand how to add the trifecta to my water and found this thread.
So is it really this simple?

RPIScotty said:

My friend sent me the sheet as it is missing on the lodo forum with a broken link.
So i just set my ppm and add SBT and AA then some BTB per the other tab that calculates the dosage based on gh/l and volume?

thanks haeffnkr

Back